1590 North High Street - Suite 500
Columbus, OH 43201-2178
Phone: (614) 292-0611
Fax: (614) 292-8699
Sandra J. Anderson
Associate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel
Sandra’s primary areas of responsibility include:
- Lead, Direct and Manage Office of Legal Affairs
- Work with Ohio Attorney General’s Office
- Manage Outside Counsel
- Litigation Oversight
Sandra J. Anderson leads and manages the day-to-day operations of the Office of Legal Affairs. She directs the efforts of the office’s 28 attorneys and 26 paralegals and support staff in providing legal services to the University’s main campus, regional campuses, and medical center. She also supervises legal work performed by over 25 state and national law firms serving as special counsel to the university on various matters.
Ms. Anderson came to Ohio State after 33 years with Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP, in Columbus, where her practice focused on civil litigation, including employment litigation. At the Vorys firm, Sandy served as special counsel for The Ohio State University in several matters, including defending the university in lawsuits in federal court and the Court of Claims.
Sandy currently serves on the boards of Ohio University and The Legacy Fund of The Columbus Foundation. She is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. She is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the categories of Alternative Dispute Resolution, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Labor and Employment Law and Personal Injury Litigation. She has been named among the top attorneys in the state by Ohio Super Lawyers several times. She was the first female president of the Columbus Bar Association and later served as president of the Columbus Bar Foundation. She served for six years on the Ohio Supreme Court Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline, including as Chair in her final year on the Board.
Before joining Vorys in 1977, Sandy clerked for The Honorable George Edwards on the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit from 1976 to 1977. She has served on the faculty of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy and as an adjunct professor at Moritz College of Law, teaching Trial Advocacy.
Professional Associations and Bar Memberships include:
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio Women’s Bar Association
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- American Constitution Society
Board and Committee Memberships include:
- Ohio University, Board of Trustees
- Legacy Fund of the Columbus Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Former Member, Ohio State Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Former Member, Life Success Seminars, Inc. Board of Trustees
- Former Chair and Member, Ohio Supreme Court Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline
- Former Chair and Member, U.S. District Court, S.D. Ohio, Local Rules Advisory Committee
- Northwestern University, J.D., magna cum laude (1976) (Law Review; Order of the Coif; National Moot Court Team)
- Ohio University, B.S.C., summa cum laude (1973)